Thursday, October 16, 2008

some brief thoughts on poverty, morality, and responsibility...

Yesterday was Blog Action Day, where bloggers wrote about poverty. I'm a little slow on the draw, but here's my two cents worth...

I just read the following in my textbook for my Philosophy class Morality and Politics: "A 60 year old man shot his letter carrier seven times because he was $90,000 in debt and thought that being in federal prison would be better than being homeless" (Rachels, 2007, p. 82). This is in an argument disproving the theory of Ethical Egoism.

The example is one in a series of harmful, unethical things people have done for their own benefit. Other examples include a nurse raping unconscious patients, a paramedic injecting emergency patients with sterile water, so as to sell the morphine, and parents feeding a baby acid so they could fake a lawsuit against a formula company.

I can see how these other examples fail to be moral, and of course I can see how it is immoral to shoot someone to save yourself from possible homelessness, but I cannot place all the responsibility for the immoral act upon the 60 year old man's shoulders. Should not society itself bear some of the responsibility for producing such anxieties? That is, are we not all collectively responsible for such a tragedy? Where was the social safety net for this individual?

It's high time we remember the lessons of the Depression and start looking out for every member of our society as a moral responsibility. By looking out for one another, I mean providing people with agency, not giving people charity. I mean giving them the tools to make a better life for themselves.

I'd like to live in a Canada that had already met the millennium goal of eradicating child poverty.


References
Rachels, J. (2007). The Elements of Moral Philosophy. 5th ed. by Stuart Rachels. New York: McGraw Hill.

No comments: