Thursday, October 23, 2008

First grader behavioural issues

Oh, what to do. My first grader is having behavioural problems at school. He disrupts the class. Here is an excerpt from a note she wrote me today in his planner:

"He also wants to lie down regularly on the floor and has a great difficulty when required to attend to lessons.... Please speak with him, as I am concerned about this behaviour if he will be accompanying us on Tuesday's field trip. Your support from home is appreciated."

The teacher is quite experienced, has a great attitude (we had a half hour conference about 3 weeks ago, I got a great vibe from her), and stresses positive interactions with him. But this is the first time my child's "strong will" has been an issue for a teacher or caregiver. He has been with his childcare provider for two years, now, and she was as surprised as I was to hear he has attention issues in class.

But now it sounds like he won't be able to go on the class field trip! As my only notification has been from the above planner note, I may be jumping to conclusions, but off the school grounds, safety is an issue for teachers, and if he can't listen in class, how about at the pumpkin patch?

Of course, the field trip falls on a day that I am unable to participate, or I'd just go with them, and make certain the little you-know-what minds his p's and q's. How can I possibly assure this teacher that he will behave?

No comments: