Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Tomatoes! Tomatoes!

Yes! I have oodles of tomatoes!

About a week ago, my housemates /sisters and I cleaned up the garden for winter. Just in time, too, because the rainy weather is here.

We tore out all the beans and peas and sunflowers and squashes and tomatoes. We got rid of the lettuce that bolted in August. We planted new seed, plus broccoli and pac choi.
We had a laundry basket full of green tomatoes. We thought only a very few would ripen, so we spread them out on newspaper in the basement in the dark. The rest have been sitting in my kitchen, waiting for me to turn them into green tomato salsa for Christmas prezzies for those who have been VERY good ; )

But they've been ripening like mad! Now I only have a pot full of green ones, so maybe only two batches of salsa? Maybe if I keep waiting, they'll ALL ripen!

But what to do with all the ripe ones? They're ripening too fast!

The whole haul:

No comments: